Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pro Progesterone?

Well, I'm spotting.  This is nothing new for me, but in the past it has correlated with an unsuccessful cycle.  Not that I'm all that surprised given our circumstances this cycle, but I didn't even get a week of blissful I-might-be-pregnant daydreams.  Sigh. 

Anywho, the title of this post points to one of my personal infertility questions.  Should I take progesterone during the two-week-wait?  My OB gave me the opportunity to try one Clomid cycle prior to her referral to the RE.  This followed a round of Provera to induce a real period.  (I was anovulatory and bleeding/spotting for the cycle prior, and had no clue where to start counting what.)  The Clomid was a bust, as I ended up getting the LH surge on day 20 of my cycle, at least a full week later than usual.  Perhaps not unusual for the IF crowd, but fairly unusual for me who usually has a surge around day 12-14.  But, I digress. 

I had experienced spotting during previous cycles about 5-7 days before I expected my period.  It had become so predictable that I knew when to expect my period based on when the spotting started.  So, when my OB prescribed the Provera and Clomid, I asked about progesterone, which I had read could relieve spotting.  She said it wouldn't hurt, so I had a prescription for 25 mg suppositories to take twice a day.  Now I understand that this amount is really inconsequential when it comes to having a real effect on your blood progesterone levels, but at the time I felt empowered.   When I began IUI with the RE, they increased my dose to 100 mg daily (in the evening), the minimum dose they recommend.  Well, even with the 100 mg dose of progesterone, I had some mild spotting.  I called the nurse. 

This cycle, I decided to forgo the progesterone because of the side effects, and because I, not my doctor, suggested the progesterone in the first place.  When talking to the nurse prior to the date I would have started the progesterone, she told me that they rarely use progesterone for patients, and I wouldn't normally be someone they would recommend use it.  Naturally, I am curious as to why a person would have spotting.  So, aside from the lovely idea of implantation bleeding, she spoke of a hormone shift (forgot to ask which hormones), and chemical pregnancy (!!!).  So, as of this past Friday, I'm spotting.  I guess that means I could expect AF anytime on Tuesday. 

Crud.

My question for you, then - anybody using progesterone for spotting?  For other issues?  I'm trying to understand this, and not having much luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment